Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First Visit to the Dentist

I took Grant with me to the dentist this week.  I needed to get my teeth cleaned and my dentist said he is a good age to bring in for his first visit.  The idea was that he would watch me first and then get his teeth cleaned if possible.  My super, super social child walked right in and made himself at home.  He started asking what everything was and quickly made friends with the dental hygienists. He didn't want to watch me and said "I want to sit in the chair".  They have TV's in the ceiling and put cartoons on for him.  They asked me if I thought he would let them polish his teeth and I said "probably" but I honestly wasn't sure.  They counted his teeth (all 20 were there).  Then, they asked him if they could use their "electric tooth brush" to clean off his teeth.  He said "yes".  Then, they offered him flavors....in a very enthusiastic voice, she said "we have bubble gum flavor! and strawberry flavor!"....and then got much less enthusiastic and said "we also have mint flavor".  She didn't know how much he LOVES peppermints!  He was thrilled with the option of mint and said "Ohhhhh I want mint!"  She looked at me and said "Really? Kids usually don't like the mint".  I confirmed his love of mints.  They put the glasses on him and started.  After she did a couple of teeth, she stopped and asked if he was okay.  He said "Mmmmm, that tastes good!".  Geez!  He just sat there the whole time and did great.  He was very excited at the end to get a new toothbrush, toothpaste and a few toys.  The dentist looked and said it was great how much space he has in his mouth.  He has little teeth like me and I always had a lot of space in my mouth.  He then had to sit and watch me get my teeth cleaned and made sure that she gave me the mint flavor too.  Before we left he said "When can we come back?"  Guess I will be adding him to our dental insurance now, lol!  Overall, a great first visit and I am glad that I waited until now.


1 comment:

Keri Sullivan Ninness said...

feeling like a total loser considering I am PETRIFIED of the dentist and grant walks right in. I'm not going to tell Ross this story. I'll NEVER hear the end of it. 2 points for Grant. O for MK's mama.